The 42.2 KM ultra-Marathon is our flagship event. Race has been scheduled to take place on 25 August 2019. Thobani Chagwe holds the record time of 2:27:12 (2014) for the male race and Irvette Van Zyl holds the record time of 2:4715 (2014) for the female race.
Race Starts at Manaye Hall in iMbali (Pietermaritzburg) where Nelson Mandela made his last speech as a free man in 1962 before he was arrested by the apartheid police in Howick on 5 August at spot which is now referred to as the Capture Site.
- All Athletes will receive a sms confirm your entry.
- Registration will take place in Durban, Moses Mabhida Stadium on 21-22 August and Pietermaritzburg 23-24 August 2019.
- Each athlete will be given a Goodie Bag, Race pack, and Final Race Instructions on Registration
- No registrations will be done on the day of the race.
- Parking has been reserved at the starting point.
- Roads will be closed 30 minutes before the race.
- Race starts at 06H00.
- There will be no shuttle buses from the Finish site to shuttle Athletes to the starts before the race. Therefore you are advised to park at the start.
- Athletes will be shuttled back to their vehicles after they have finished the race.
- Should the winner (man and woman) of the 2019 Mandela Day Marathon break the Best Time recorded, he or she will receive a cash payment of R 50 000.00.
The 42.2km race is run with a 6 hour cut-off. There will be 6 cut-off points on the route and the cut-off times for these points will be confirmed in the final race instructions. The MANDELA DAY MARATHON reserves the right to alter these positions. Runners will be required to board a rescue bus and be transported to the finish venue should they not have reached the cut-off points within the specified time.
Athletes MUST retire once ordered to do so by a race official, medical delegate or medical staff. IAAF Rule
The cut-off points will be clearly sign posted and do not relate to the location of any timing mats or other markers along the route.
Point 1 – 08:50 Mtolo Butchery (Caluza Road / Dennis Shepstone Drive)
Point 2 – 9:30 Half Way Mark
Point 3 – 10:00 Rotunda Entrance (Cedara Road)
Point 4 – 10:30 Merryvale off-ramp
Point 5 – 11:00 Howick Stadium
Point 6 – 12:00 Finish Line
Please note that these times and positions are subject to change should the organisers deem it necessary. The final cut-off is at 6 hours (12h00) and if you have not reached the Finish, you must leave the route and retire from the race immediately.
42km START PARKING and Drop and Go
Start Parking – FET College Mbali township, Major road works ongoing in Moses Mabhida Road and all athletes are advised to move to the start venue at least one hour earlier
- The access is from the Moses Mabhida Highway into Sutherland Road. PARKING – Turn right into FJ Sithole Road and then turn Right into FET College Parking Area.
- Drop and Go will be allowed in Sutherland Road
- Sutherland Road will be closed at 05:45
- The race commences at 06:00am.
Parking at finish (capture site)
- NOTE: The R103 will be closed at 06:00 to traffic and there will be no access to the R103 route from either the Midmar Dam, Howick South or Tweedie, Howick North turn offs.
- Alternative Route to Finish: To reach the finish-parking take the N3 off-ramp into Howick North turn towards Howick. At the first set of traffic lights (5th turn left not including the N3 junction) turn left into Currie Post Road. Continue to the fourth junction on the left. Turn left and then follow this road through to the parking, which is directly adjacent to the Nelson Mandela Capture Site. The whole route will be sign posted from the N3 through to the parking area
2019 Will supply an extensive shuttle service transporting athletes after the event back to their vehicles parked at the Start Venues. A total of 20 x 65 seated busses and 45 x 16 seated taxis will be used to transport athletes. No shuttles will be running in the morning to start venues.
- Road Running Events Sunday 25 August
- 26 Fully Stocked Refreshment Stations
- 1,5 Km apart
- ABSA Hydration Zone
- Finish line refreshment station
- Full Athlete Recovery area with post event meals
- Road Running Events Sunday 25 August
- Accommodation for 900 athletes
- 42,2km athletes – FET College Imbali
- Full meals supplied
- Transport to start venues